Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Project Have Fun - The Ideas.

I read in a particular peice on the critical studies board, which said some ideas come on a "whimsy" This one was no exception. Armed with my sketchbook and B pencil. I was thinking about light bulbs and ideas on my way to "get inspired" and I saw it on the wall doing its job of switching on lights. A light switch.

Seems a bit random, yes, but I didnt just see a white square with a switch in the middle for once I saw something with character something I could relate to, something with a face.

But it inspired me, So I drew it.



Drawing it inspired me to make characters based on other household objects, and the environment around them that they could exist in. So I found things imagined and sketched...
Although I wrote a set of rules previously, I found that I was not nessecerally following them in the order I had set, strange. I found myself considering the problems at every stage even the idea sketches.
I didnt want to just forget them. So I made notes, asked myself questions that needed to be answered.
With the lightswitch character I immediatlety thought about ...
How he would move?
How He could dominate the scene with his presence?
How to create intimacy?
When I created the cookie cutter on the orange characeter, I thought he would be more suited to a non playable character, He had no face, this would distingish him from the main characeter, make him appear to have no feeling which would be more suited to an enemy character. No feeling dosent mean no character however, No face dosent mean no characeter.
His body language would have to do that. Below "cutter"  possible scenario,



 Kettle character idea, whilst sketching this for possible character ideas, I was a little unsure whether or not this would work. The spout kind of reminded me of a beak of a bird. A kettle is very static.... until you switch it on, so I did, steam reminded me of anger. Angry characetrs make good bosses, Maybe it would be possible to include him in the scene.



I had ideas for possible environment scenarios. I was thinking about the switch character and how a world which is ordinary to me would be overwhelming for him....
I got on the floor to see things from his perspective, and drew as he would see.
Its suprisingly dark on the floor, like I wouldnt have imagined. Boiling kettle's create clouds with there steam.
A bit like the clouds in our sky.  I was thinking that something like this would create a connection for the player with the environment, the worlds diferent from his perspective but things are similar. The cupboards and worktops would be like our mountains or buildings. The ceiling the sky. The lino the earth. Gaps between things, caves, sinks filled with water lakes or ponds.



Just a quick sketch of possible character being chased by vaccuum cleaner. I thought it may be cool to make the vacuum cleaner like a rhino, ....... I got a bit ahead of myself time for some research


No comments:

Post a Comment