Tuesday, 6 March 2012

The post about progress

Apparently talking about my progress on my blog is a good thing. For a while I wasnt sure what it meant. No im not thick I swear. I wasnt sure whether it meant progress in my work or personal emotional development?

I was also worried that if I posted too much work here It may be seen as an attempt to show what I can do now rather than the process. That was last year.... things have changed. I may repeat myself and condtradict myself in this post.

Anyways Ive done the personal thing, now its time to talk about my progress and why certain things espeicially advice that is given to us first years may not be as easy to act on as you may think.

Ive been told for ages that if you master the fundamnetals of traditional then the digital will just come naturally.

My masters study was a breakthrough for me, I studied the way Monet moved the brush , the different ways in which he used amounts of paint for certain areas such as more paint for highlighted areas and how he built up the paint in layers. if he painted in a particular direction for certain areas such as shadows, highlights, the colours he used, how he mixed colours to achieve a particular shade, like dark green for shadows, how he used differnt colours over others to get different results. 


From my traditional experiments I was able to go ahead and do some digital experiments that didnt make me feel sick thinking about.


One of the second years told me that to get decent grades your final peices have to refelect the work you put in. Its ok to do alot of development work, but if that means you draw 1000's of sketches and then attempt to do a digital final, I cant see that working. 

also working through the rubbish, alot of this work isnt very good, that is why it is practice work. its what I will get out of it, what i will learn that is important to me.

So I practiced and I practiced...... I figured I wasnt going to get good at painting by doing thumbnail pencil sketches. SoI did thumbnail paint sketches.
If I show the process Visually it may be more easier to see























 I worked through the rubbish, I did several finals, Then I started to work on the digital.














I found this method worked for me and I have been trying to do good digital painting for a long time.
I think this is a vast improvement. I felt the marks I made were right bevause I had practiced and worked through the crap.




Now I want to study more masters and pick up tips from them.  I didnt paint over either you know how i feel about that, nor is this some deviant art rubbish, its a demonstartion of myself practicing techniques that will help me to progress and I am, slowly but surely. Now i am taking the right steps.



No comments:

Post a Comment