Wednesday, 21 March 2012

*Project Have fun - Flick

To make the characters work within the environment, I have to make the characters work.
So lets make them work. Lets solve the problems I set in the previous post.

Flicks his name. I thought that the light switch face looked quite bird like so it only seems natural to get him to move like a bird, and base him around a bird.

Im reseraching  at the moment bird anatomy Im going to do some rough sketches, then post them up hear.
I dont know if it will work so im trying it out.

Edit: I have looked at bird anatomy, how they stand and how they move,




I had a rough idea of the shape of his head (lightswitch, square) but what would make up the rest of the body, from my initial sketches, I had wires coming from the back of him. It would be cool to manipulate thise to make up the rest of his body. There are of course other ways that I can think of creating his body. I have thought about a spider or insect like body.

Edit: looked at spiders anatomy, I thought it may be another way for the characters anatomy to be believable, and also to work. I tried out this idea on the character.



A practiced with a few silhouettes but i just knew it wasnt working from the word go.A bit creepy, not really working for me, Im nit sure if it would go with the environment/ other characters. Although I want the main character to be distinguishable from the rest I dont want to overdo it to the point where he dosent fit. I have also tried out the bird idea with some silhouettes and sketches. Made moodboard as I was interested as to wear the body parts could emerge from on the switch.


This appears to be a better solution to the problem. It just looks better, it goes. With so much else to concentrate on. Id better start giving this kid some character.
How do I give him this intimacy that make the audience relate and communicate with him?
I read that flaws help to do this, also ther emay be other light switches in the environment he needs to stand out from them. A bit of grime maybe strategically placed? back to the drawing board.

Edit: Made some rough silhouettes with a few details on, thinking about grime I thought how I could make grime appear to be something else something that would add to his features rather than looking like "pure filth".


I tried out a few things, grime for scars, fringe, tear, thumbprint for a patch over his eye, stripey wire for stripey legs, my favourite was the thumbprint eye patch. Plus this made his "face" less symmetrical.

Edit:  Just realised, that I have to reference everything, that means if I want wire for the legs I have to look at wire, if I want copper for the feet, i need to find copper for reference. How else will I be able to paint it?
I need to see how it twists and bends, how light reflects from it, the texture all of these things.


Edit: character work in progress,



Edit: greyscale concept. No colour?  I have done colour, but, I want to get everything together before I start on that, seriously.... colour concept not final.



No comments:

Post a Comment