Saturday, 6 October 2012

*Task 14 concept art/planning

I actually have some real life experience of concepting ideas for real life projects. The mistakes I made during one particular real life project have really helped me. Its quite a funny story about an illustration, three goats and a twenty pound note. Id like to take some time to write about it as it will be relivant for the upcoming "list".

Whilst I was at college one of my lecturers used to offer me graphic design jobs. I always finished my work early so he thought he could rely on me to at least get things done by the deadlines. They were only little things that needed to be done that he proberly didnt have time to do.

One day I was asked if I could create an illustration for this women (the client). So a client meeting was set up and I met with this lady (the client) to see exactly what it is that she wanted me to do.

What she wanted was an illustration based on a very private joke of her's. Which I'm more than happy to spread round cyberspace. Client confidentiality shall be reserved for doctors and psychiatrists of which I am none.

The joke, and I use the term joke loosly was this.

Her sister, her mother and her sisters husband were all going out for a meal in this restaurant in the countryside. Her mother handed a twenty pound note to the sun in law (she liked putting a bit towards things in advance)
As the money was handed over a freak gust of wind blew the twenty pound note from her hand into a field that was populated by goats.
Apparently the son in law did some epic matrix still jump flip over the fence and grabbed the twenty pound note just before the goats nabbed it.
Whilst this was happening everyone in the restaurant across was clapping in the window.

All of this had to be included in an illustration. So I arranged to meet up in 3 days and went off and started doing some rough sketches and research. I put about 12hrs work into it all in all.

3 days later I met with her (the client) and presented the final illustration in all its glory with its dodgy perspective.

This is what she (the client) said.
His nose is too big, her hair is the wrong colour.

It wasnt accurate so she didnt want it. Thats a very good point actually because if your work isnt accurate you cant sell it, literally in this case.

I didnt ask her enough questions in order to create something that was accurate and that she wanted. I went back put another few hours into it and corrected everything including the dodgy perspective.
Presented it too her again and she gave me a whopping five pounds. Yes, I didnt arrange that either, so planning of everything is key. All of the details need to be considered. If i'd have known I wouldnt have bothered. It worked out I was being payed roughly 28 pence an hour.
I decided to be quicker from then.

 lesson learnt. People dont pay for your time they pay for results.

 Heres a list of the things I think are most important when concepting any idea.

 1. If theres a brief read it.... properly.
This may seem a little obvious but there is nothing more frustrating than being set a project and spending some time generating ideas without properly reading the brief.
When you do read it and you realise that your ideas (however awesome they may be) have no real relevance to the set task. Its back to the drawing board. This wastes too much time and time is money.

2. Write a list of everything you need to do. I cannot emphasize the planning enough.

3. Draw pictures, lots and lots of pictures.
"Ideas diagrams" or whatever politically correct thing they're called these days are fine but as an artist I need to visualise my ideas.
I will add that development is for your own use really so spending time drawing pretty pictures that no ones ever going to see is a waste. Do what you need to do to get the job done.  As long as they are fit for there purpose.

4. Manage your time well. Set yourself a time for each task and stick to it. Again time is money.

5. Make sure its accurate according to the above. Innaccuracy might aswell be nothing at all.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent list, made all the more excellent by being based on real life experience.

    And a goat joke as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, nice to know my ramblings are appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete