Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Concept artists and Confident artists

Well like an idiot I didnt schedule todays events into my schedule so I feel a little knocked off schedule. I was planning on going back to the train station today but im glad I didnt.

I was working on my environment for the trash at about 9ish in the labs this morning before the concept art "thing" I managed to get quite alot done but it wasnt until after getting feedback from one of them later I realised what i was doing wrong.

I managed to have the confidence to ask alot of questions and ask for feedback from them where as before I wouldnt have been able to and im sitting in the front of the labs now where people can see my work from behind me and drawing my crappy little thumbnails in the labs with two awesome artists in the room,  not really caring who sees them, for me thats a breakthrough.

One thing that I always thought that was important when concepting that was backed up today was things being fit for there purpose. I have always been an advocate of do what you need to do to proceed. I wasnt entirely sure but I carried on with it anyway. This has inspired me to do the things I think are right even if im a little unsure its all down to confidence, without that I cant draw I cant show my ideas I cant ask questions I cant do anything.

The whole atmosphere has changed here and I think that may be down to my new confidence. Its good though it makes me want to be here. Im even talking to my classmates more getting the constructive criticism I so desire.

Back to todays events......

The top 5 skills for  concepting in order (as specifically asked for are as follows:_

Design
Technical ability/skill
fit for purpose - nothing is made without having a purpose
Time/speed
adaptabilty - as in being able to pick up or learn new software.

In regards to other skills
perspective
colour theory
art history- why did artists do things
building a visual library

I got alot of feedback on my visual design work,  Particularly about silhouettes and how its a good idea to use them in visual design too as well as for concepting 3d models. For example when im painting trees i was told i should make the silhouette of the leaves and the trunk, not just the trunk and add the leaves after ( he knew) I had done that, so in future i know what to do.

Got tips on thumbnail sketching too, I was advised not to use the grid system and he showed me another method I was also advised not to draw in pen as it makes the line inconsistent.







The cross and point"thumbnail" was advised and seemed to work better, I suppose its the same principle as the rule of thirds but it seems easier to stick to  the intersections.

All in all a good day. More of the same please, next time  will schedule it into my life :) thanks guys


edit: Im doing some research now in how to do spec maps well, be all you can be and all that, im going back to the train station at the weekend to do a plein air traditional final peice (with a little bit of development and better perspective)







No comments:

Post a Comment