It came up in conversation today about the measures students take to prove there work is there own and they have not cheated in any way.
I think this is a very important issue and needs to be discussed.
Personally I like to show the evolution of a project that includes development work that shows a very clear link to the final peice. Working in photoshop I save every layer. We take screen shots of our work, paint them in watercolour first to show we can do it. Draw pictures.
As far as concept's go I have been the victim in the past of people directly copying my ideas so 2 students are handing the same work in, luckily I had built a good reputation with the lecturers and I had all of the notes for my project to prove it was mine the other chap did not. I did not leave my notebook in the room again unattended.
It is theft, would you walk into someones house and steal their laptop?
Stealing other peoples concepts to me is the same as trying to abduct there children.
My concepts are the children I never got round to having, they are born from me. Created out of passion from the very essence of my life force. That is how I see them.
In the real world I suppose its wise not to get to attached to your work as its really not your own, If you do something for someone its there's but that is a different story. You almost become a surrogate mother of concepts that you freely give up. Whatever metaphor I use I means the same thing.
We have freedom at this level that sometimes cant be seen and I plan on enjoying it. We can be creative even with briefs that seem limited to some.
But how far do we have to go right now to protect what is ours and prove we are honest professional individuals?
I think this is a very important issue and needs to be discussed.
Personally I like to show the evolution of a project that includes development work that shows a very clear link to the final peice. Working in photoshop I save every layer. We take screen shots of our work, paint them in watercolour first to show we can do it. Draw pictures.
As far as concept's go I have been the victim in the past of people directly copying my ideas so 2 students are handing the same work in, luckily I had built a good reputation with the lecturers and I had all of the notes for my project to prove it was mine the other chap did not. I did not leave my notebook in the room again unattended.
It is theft, would you walk into someones house and steal their laptop?
Stealing other peoples concepts to me is the same as trying to abduct there children.
My concepts are the children I never got round to having, they are born from me. Created out of passion from the very essence of my life force. That is how I see them.
In the real world I suppose its wise not to get to attached to your work as its really not your own, If you do something for someone its there's but that is a different story. You almost become a surrogate mother of concepts that you freely give up. Whatever metaphor I use I means the same thing.
We have freedom at this level that sometimes cant be seen and I plan on enjoying it. We can be creative even with briefs that seem limited to some.
But how far do we have to go right now to protect what is ours and prove we are honest professional individuals?
No comments:
Post a Comment