In my first Visual Design class Chris said that he intended to "brainwash" us into being able to draw. He promised to show us how to break an image up. Truthfully I was a little sceptical about this whole "brainwashing" idea. I thought to myself "Whatever, it will never work" but in the back of my mind I hoped that it would without ever really believing it.
I was nervous about putting pencil to paper, afraid to fail, I had seen the drawings produced and I was bricking it, after speaking to some of my peers I found out that I wasnt the only one who felt this way.
Then it happened, a day later I was 100% better at drawing than I was before I started the course, two days later I was better still, by the saturday after my first visual design lesson I had produced the best drawing I have ever produced in a long time, by the sunday I had produced the best drawing I had ever produced in my life And I cried.
I know the thought of crying over the fact you can draw again sounds a little melodramatic but It was the only thing that ever held my confidence back as an artist, I used to be able to do it, and then I couldnt and I didnt know why.
I thought how amazing must this guy be to do in a day what I had been trying to do for 2 years. Well done Chris, respect earnt.
Every time my pencil makes a mark in my sketchbook now I feel intense joy. I always knew practice made perfect without really knowing, but now I know this for real and I have faith in myself, faith that I can do absolutley anything. I practiced for 5 hours a day that week.
Some evidence of this, I am no michealangelo YET, but look how I have improved,
Before the brainwashing occured,

During The brainwashing process

After
This drawing is far from perfect, but it is one heck of an improvment in a week, I hope I can get better still.
Where to go from here, some say the sky is the limit, they are wrong, The stars are.
I was nervous about putting pencil to paper, afraid to fail, I had seen the drawings produced and I was bricking it, after speaking to some of my peers I found out that I wasnt the only one who felt this way.
Then it happened, a day later I was 100% better at drawing than I was before I started the course, two days later I was better still, by the saturday after my first visual design lesson I had produced the best drawing I have ever produced in a long time, by the sunday I had produced the best drawing I had ever produced in my life And I cried.
I know the thought of crying over the fact you can draw again sounds a little melodramatic but It was the only thing that ever held my confidence back as an artist, I used to be able to do it, and then I couldnt and I didnt know why.
I thought how amazing must this guy be to do in a day what I had been trying to do for 2 years. Well done Chris, respect earnt.
Every time my pencil makes a mark in my sketchbook now I feel intense joy. I always knew practice made perfect without really knowing, but now I know this for real and I have faith in myself, faith that I can do absolutley anything. I practiced for 5 hours a day that week.
Some evidence of this, I am no michealangelo YET, but look how I have improved,
Before the brainwashing occured,
During The brainwashing process
After
This drawing is far from perfect, but it is one heck of an improvment in a week, I hope I can get better still.
Where to go from here, some say the sky is the limit, they are wrong, The stars are.

No comments:
Post a Comment