Thursday, 13 October 2011

3D software, what I really think.

First game production lecture, quick lesson on how to use max. Then it was like heres a picture of a dalek, make that. Brilliant.

I felt like I a non-swimmer who had been thrown in the deep end with no armbands wearing concrete shoes to put it bluntly, and what better way to learn than to JUST DO.  This task had me opening up every menu in the software to see how it worked/what it did. It took me a long time at first to get the swing of things. My first Dalek took me about 30 hours, I was then able to make an identical one in 30 minutes.

I had a few problems with the software that didnt involve modelling, such as rendering and pivot points but I made sure I asked heather to show me EXACTLY how that worked the next week, so I knew for next time.

I had used aother 3d program before it looked similiar to 3ds max but some things were in different places, I knew I had to add vertices, extrude this and that I just had to discover how.

In some ways 3dsmax is easier than previous 3d software I have used, alot of options are accessible by right clicking, which I think is convenient. I enjoy using the program, even if things didnt turn out the first time, I know if I put time and effort I can make it work for me.

Some of the work looks really exiting and I cant wait to give it a try.




1 comment:

  1. Yep, for most people it is the best way to learn - don't get hung up on it, just dive in and have a go. Whats' the worst can happen? Maybe a bit of work get lost, or doesn't look that good. The more you do, the better you get.

    Liking your spirit, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete