Thursday, 17 October 2013

Sketching on the straight and narrow.

Sketching on the straight and narrow.

I thought it was time to reflect over the past few weeks and talk about some of the work I have done and the progress I have made.
I have not uploaded every single piece because I find that trying to scan and present my artwork takes longer than doing a final piece. Time is precious.

 
 We were studying colour theory this week. as with any project though I find it is essential to capture the essence of a particular place.
I chose mount St Bernard's Abbey.

I have tried a different approach to drawing this year and have attempted straight lines.
That may sound like a ridiculous thing to say but before I was using a technique called feathering.
Personally I think feathering gives drawing character but our new visual design teacher has informed us that if an artist uses this technique it looks like they don't know what there doing.
So I followed his direction. Reluctantly at first but with good results.
 

I have done a few sketches of parts of a lobster as an example of the "FEATHERING" technique.
The purpose of this was really to compare my new sketches to these.
 The wannabe game artist in me wants to do things right. The rebel illustrator in me wants to continue feathering and drawing like this and hopes the wannabe game artist will listen.


The visual storyboard



 I think that a visual storyboard is a great way to capture the essence of an environment as I have
previously stated.
There are many ways an artist can use mark making to do this. Quick lines to show the
outline of an object in a scene a bit like a gestural drawing where the viewers eye can fill in the detail.
These are the first sketches I did that day and honestly I think they are lacking in many ways.
The values in the ink sketches are all over the place. I didn't really know a lot about value till after I did these sketches.




The second visual storyboard I produced has improved on the last. My values are more accurate and my line looks better.

As far as perspective goes I have learnt that sketches of uphill paths should be avoided like the plague and that it is up to me as an artist to put down on paper my own interpretation of the environment. Sometimes that means using a bit of artistic license and including things that maybe are not there and getting rid of some things that are there.

 
 
This is my favourite page of sketches I think they are more atmospheric in many ways and I believe that is directly related to my choice of line thickness and value.

I have experimented with different mark making techniques for the foliage and I think it has worked quite well in areas.
I have been taught new ways of rendering tree bark this week after some criticism from one of my lecturers. I look forward to applying it to my next project. I will have a go anyway you cant say fairer than that can you?



These sketches were mainly experimenting with different compositions of the same scene.

I really like the majority of them for the composition I have chosen.

I'm not happy with the archway leading up the
stairs sketch. The lighting is inaccurate and it doesn't capture what I wanted to capture which was atmosphere.
I wish I 'd have drawn more of the archway because in real life it looked amazing.




All in good time though Victoria. Keep going and one day you may be able to capture everything you see.

I have done other sketches in different styles this day but I think that's enough for this post.
 These sketches only capture the atmosphere in most cases and in there self were not enough.
 I went on to do some colour sketches to help with the progression to a final piece.

I think my main goal in the future will be to capture as much information as I can in a single image.

So all in all I did get quite a lot out of this new technique which is the most important thing and the outcome was fairly successful.
I made loads of mistakes which drive me mad, but I know that's how you learn and I am constantly reminded that is how you learn.  I would give myself 6 out of 10. Good but needs work.


No comments:

Post a Comment